Frequently Asked Questions
How is AAUW unique compared to other preschools?
- Quiet neighborhood location on a one-acre lot
- 3-hour preschool sessions
- Fenced half-acre outdoor learning area
- Nutritious snack provided
- Low student to teacher ratio (7:1)
- No potty training required
- NAEYC accredited
- Parent involvement
- Preschool designed facility
Does my child need to be potty trained?
No. (We acknowledge that) Children progress at a different pace and in their own time. Teachers partner with parents to assist with toileting self-help skills at whatever stage the child is in. Children are changed when needed with respect to their privacy.
How do you discipline?
When children are unsafe or in conflict, we will:
- Interrupt any unsafe situation
- Redirect the behavior or child
- Encourage self-expression
- Help children develop empathy
- Facilitate problem solving between children
Self-regulation is a long process and is learned over time. Teachers facilitate and model problem solving and conflict resolution.
Will my child be ready for kindergarten?
Yes! Play-based learning promotes all areas of development including language, self-regulation, cognitive functioning and fine and gross motor skills. The Illinois Early Learning and Development Standards (IELDS) we follow are aligned with the Common Core used in Illinois schools. Our materials rich classrooms provide many opportunities for a child to develop at his or her own pace and how young children learn…by doing.
Our goals for children are to develop:
- a sense of belonging
- An ability to communicate
- A love for learning
- Confidence to take risks
- Persistence to follow through
- Independent, creative thinking
- A foundation for all for all future learning
How will I know if my child is progressing or what she is learning?
Teachers observe, assess and document children’s work. They use this information to plan curriculum and to follow up with child-initiated ideas.
Individual child progress is communicated through:
- Daily communication
- Semi-annual parent-teacher conferences
- Portfolio work samples
Classroom experiences and activities are communicated through:
- Posted daily lesson plans
- Bi-weekly class newsletters
- Blog and Facebook posts
Is financial assistance available?
Scholarship, tuition assistance or state-funded programs may be available to eligible families. Military discounts are available and additional assistance may be available through NACCRRA. Call today for details.